Sunday, May 19, 2013

Scrap Basket Sunday - Part 1

These last few weeks I've been making 6" shoo fly blocks for my Scrap Basket Sunday project.  I started these with no idea as to what I'd do with them.  After our camping trip to the coast I know exactly what I'm going to do with them.

When we got our first pop-up camper I made quilts for the beds, as sheets and quilts are so much nicer to sleep in than sleeping bags.  You can see the quilts I made in this post.  We slept under these for 9 years in our comfy little pop-up.  However, last fall we decided it was time to trade in that camper for a larger one with a bathroom and a hot water tank.  As we've gotten older we prefer not "roughing it" as much as we used to.  (Backpacking, sleeping on the ground under the stars, etc.) So we got a new, roomier pop-up with just what we wanted.  (To see pictures of the inside and floor plan click here.

This one also has larger beds - king size! - and our sheets and quilts no longer fit the beds.  We used them - without sheets - on our trip to the beach, but it wasn't the same as having nicely made-up beds.  King size sheets are on their way and should arrive on Tuesday.  We just need new quilts.  So two, king-size shoo fly quilts will decorate the interior as soon as I can get them made.  I know there is plenty of scraps in my basket to make the 264 blocks I need.  Now I need to get sewing!

3 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

how wonderful! camping is such fun and can understand the need for the upgrade. there are levels of "roughing it" for certain.

Raewyn said...

Sounds like a great way to camp and very cool to have quilts on the bed in it... hopefully you will make a dent in your scrap pile by the time you finish!

Julierose said...

what a great place to camp! I wish we had nice campsites here in CT--not so rural as Oregon, I imagine. When my two babies were little, we'd pack up and go camping lotsa weekends--fond memories--but, I agree a little luxury goes a long way...nice pop-upper! Julierose