Saturday, May 4, 2013

Nothing new to show

I've been spending all my sewing room time hand quilting, so I really don't have anything new to show you.  Except for my fingers, I guess.  I'm slowly redeveloping my quilting callouses.  I make tiny stitches by feeling the point of the needle on the under-the-quilt hand.  I don't use anything to protect the fingers because I need to feel the stitch.  Pretty ugly!



Here are some pretty things.  I visited my second favorite quilt shop yesterday on my way to pick up our granddog, Chewie. (We are dog sitting while the kids and grands are in Disneyland.)  There were so many things in the store I could have happily come home with.  I was good, however, and did as planned.  Charm squares and a new marking pencil are all that came home with me.



And yes - those ARE batiks you see!  I've not had batiks in my stash since I gave away the few I had over 10 years ago.  I, like so many others, have been drawn in by the fabulous quilts that combine batiks with reproductions, such as those by Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts.  I'ms tarting small with these charms to see if I enjoy working with them. 

Two other charm packs will look very out of place in my stash.  Bright and modern, they are so out of my comfort zone.  I will use them in a Schnibbles top on a day I feel like working on something entirely different from my usual projects.



(So what's with the tiny print on the last part of my post?  I've tried 5 times to change it - even retyping it - but it isn't working so I guess it stays.  Sorry, those of you whose eyes, like mine, no longer like tiny print.) 

8 comments:

Crispy said...

Yep, I've had fingers like that many a time. Thank goodness they heal quickly. Google does the weirdest things to posts sometimes.

Oh, and I love your new charm packs :0)

Crispy

sewkalico said...

Ouch! Those fingers look sore :(
Last year I managed to get a needle hole infected and could hardly use that finger. I figured washing dishes and deep needle holes didn't mix! Of course I soldiered on with the sewing, but the finger was way too sore for other chores Lol

Michele said...

I hope those heal fast! Schnibbles are a great way to try some fabrics that might be a bit out of your comfort zone:-)

Deb said...

I thought they were your toes at first..LOL, that is what happens when you leave quilting. They will heal over and then the callouses will take the color of your skin, give them a day or 2 of rest to heal over.
love your fabrics, Michelle is right it is a great way to test those fabrics that you are not sure about.

Anonymous said...

Your poor fingers. Before I ever put a top together I hand quilted. I never wanted to sew a top together, i just loved quilting so I used to quilt for other people. Now I just want to put tops together.
Found you on Never to hot to stitch.
Dont worry about pictures to show. Just get you fingers well.
Kathleen http://kathysnest32.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

Your poor fingers. Before I ever put a top together I hand quilted. I never wanted to sew a top together, i just loved quilting so I used to quilt for other people. Now I just want to put tops together.
Found you on Never to hot to stitch.
Dont worry about pictures to show. Just get you fingers well.
Kathleen http://kathysnest32.wordpress.com/

Maureen said...

Sore fingers are just a part of quilting, at least it seems that way. I don't handquilt daily so mine sometimes look like yours. Get them in shape so you can keep on quilting.

Donna said...

Several ladies in our hand quilt group use an AUNT BECKY
for the underside fingers. They love it, they really do nice hand quilting!