Monday, February 11, 2013

More applique

Almost half of my current, ongoing projects (listed on the left sidebar) are applique.  Many blocks were in the process of being prepared for applique when I started knitting instead of quilting,  Today I'm finishing the preparation of blocks for this quilt.



This is one of the antique quilts owned by Eileen Trestain from whom I took four different quilt history classes.  This quilt - and project - is from the third class, "Civil War and Centennial 1850-1860".  I found three finished blocks and 31 more with freezer paper templates ironed onto various fabrics ready to be marked and cut out.  Last week I marked around all the templates, and last night I started cutting them and basting them to backgrounds.  

I love the primitive, whimsical blocks in this quilt.  When I started it I planned to set the blocks the same as the original.  Now I want to do something different with them.  Eileen gave us many choices of layouts in our class materials, so I'll contemplate which one to use as I finish the blocks.

3 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I love it! Can't wait to see yours!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

This is so cool! Do you have a pattern or is it your own design?

Lucy said...

Oohh my goodness. I do remember this quilt. It is a thrill Patti. You inspire me to start a version like this.
Welcome back :-) Good to see you and your family. You are looking good Patti.