While working on the blocks for Civil War Diary, it occurred to me that I'd never seen a picture of this completed quilt in blogland. Obviously I'm not the only one who is or has made it, so I did a google search. I found great looking quilts - and new-to-me bloggers.
Scroll down to find this quilt. What magnificent quilting on the border! Simple but effective. Interesting layout for fewer blocks. Several pictured here - I love the triangle squares used for cornerstones in the second quilt. I think I'll use that idea also. These are just a few of the many images I found in my search.
Have any of you seen this quilt in blogland or made one of your own? Anyone working on the quilt? Please leave me a comment with a link to appropriate pictures and posts.
In the meantime, I have two more blocks done. I completed "Battle of Springfield" last night. I've learned the hard way - when I'm making long, skinny foundation-pieced flying geese parts (like those found in this block) I need to cut my pieces EXTRA large. Took me three tries cutting pieces in order to finish. By then my foundation was hardly hanging together I'd ripped out so many times. All 20 stitches to the inch, which I use to "perforate the paper" for easy removal. It was worth the effort - I like the block.
Alvin McClure was comparatively easy. No foundation, easily ruler-cut pieces. I know you've heard the carpenter's adage "measure twice, cut once" which obviously applies to quilters too. I don't have trouble with that one, so I made up my own. "Check the block layout 3 times, and sew it together no more than two times with one frogging. Check the block layout 4 times and maybe you can sew it together right on the first try."