Sunday, February 24, 2013

Another Diary block

This one is appropriately called "Anxieties".  At times I felt quite anxious while piecing this.  The narrow stripes are only 1/4"!  I can't imagine trying to do this any way other than foundation piecing.  Even that was a long, tedious affair.  But I love the block - it is a very cool block!  My corner triangles were a bit skimpy, but there is still plenty of seam allowance for sewing the blocks together.


I was disappointed when finished, however, to discover that the foundation did not match the block in the original quilt.  One of the things I love about the blocks in this quilt is the way they continually surprise.  Part will be turned a different way than one expects.  This block is regular - everything turned just so.  But look at the block in the book - it is not regular at all.  If I'd noticed this before sewing on the red triangles I could have adjusted things, but I trusted that the foundation was correct.  I wish my block looked like the one in the book.  But not enough that I'm going to do it over again.


I've started thinking about what I might use for the sashing in this quilt.  The original used a plain off-white for all the light in the blocks as well as sashing.  I've used shirtings throughout - I really love the look of shirtings.  I don't have enough of any one shirting fabric to use for sashing.  Looks like I'll need a trip to the quilt shop with my blocks to find a shirting that makes the blocks sing.

4 comments:

Carol said...

WOW! What an awesome block!

antique quilter said...

great block , I have to admit I no longer trust patterns in books I always check twice before I start cutting and when doing paper pieced blocks I always measure my pattern that comes out of the printer to the block in the book.
can you tell I have run into wrong directions and patterns in the past !
I don't think I would do it over again either, or at least wait a few weeks and see if it still bothers you then take the time and make another one
Kathie

The Calico Cat said...

Maybe the coloration in the book is an error? I prefer your block.

Kindred Quilts said...

I prefer the symetrics of your block over the one in the book. Interesting block!