Saturday, April 20, 2013

Scraps, we love scraps! But I need your help . . .

Because I have this laundry basket of fabric pieces not big enough to fold and put on the shelf - my definition of scraps - I decided to start participating in Kim's Scrap Basket Sundays.   I know if I don't commit myself to something like this I will always pull from the shelf rather than the scrap basket.

Because I spent all day today at the Columbia Gorge Fiber Festival,  and will be there most of the day tomorrow, I spent last night and tonight cutting and sewing scraps.

"1"
Because I'm part of Kathleen Tracy's yahoo group Small Quilt Talk, I decided to use April's block for my first Scrappy Sunday project.  Tomorrow night I hope to sew the blocks together and finish the quilt top.

"2"
The block is called "Contrary Wife", though many may know it by another name.  (Don't you love how block names changed from state to state and era to era?  I do!)  I originally planned to do only four blocks plus borders.  Last night I discovered what a tiny quilt that would be so I decided to make 16 blocks instead - I wanted a square quilt.

"3"
Of course, my chosen scraps didn't go that far - I was able to make only 12 blocks.  I thought about stopping then, but realized there was only one blocks arrangement (that I liked) suitable for 12 blocks.  So I did what our foremothers often did when fabric was scarce.  I dug through the basket for fabrics of similar color and value to the fabrics I'd used up.  I made four more blocks tonight substituting two new fabrics for those I'd used up.  I thought I'd use them in the center of the quilt.  Or in the four corners.  I played with both arrangements and didn't really care for either.  So I scattered those four blocks randomly though the block arrangement.  That looked MUCH better!  (IMHO)

"4"
I thought I knew which block setting I wanted.  But once I started playing with the blocks I realized there were many different settings I liked.  So I'd love your input.

"5"
Which setting do you like best?  Please vote for your favorite, either 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5.  Thanks!

17 comments:

Dorothy said...

I like No 1. First ideas are often the best.

Candace said...

They are all very nice, but I think I like no. 5 best.

Beverley said...

I like no 3 the best. All are nice though.

The Calico Cat said...

Are you going to make more blocks? Yes = 3, No = 4, because, I'd like to see more of that pattern emerge.

Carmiña said...

Hello,
I vote for number 3

swooze said...

2nd then 1st

swooze said...

Oops 3rd then 2nd...lol

Tammy said...

I like no. 2. I like how the star "pops" in the center. Also, in the center square and surrounding four green squares, you can do a special motif for quilting. Good luck.

Melanie said...

I like #3 the best.

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

I am partial to number three myself, but I think you'll get a different answer from us all! Such a personal question of taste, go with your gut! ;) Wonderful scraps - and your header quilt is stunning!!!

Kigwit said...

I like both three and four. Maybe four a touch more because it's a little more unusual.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

It is hard to pick a favorite... I keep going back to #4. Good luck!

Cathy said...

I am impressed that you made these blocks from scraps! Amazing the different effects from different settings. I think I like 3 best.

Joanne said...

I'm loving #4. Something really different and an attention getter in my opinion.

JoAnne said...

I really like number 5--the Barn Raising setting best, but I also like number 2. What fun!

Donna said...

#3 is my favorite! Happy scrappy Sunday.

Miz Karen said...

I like #4.