Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Today's finish

Last night I finished stitching the binding and the label on "Leftovers". I didn't like the green border when I first put it on last summer but it's really grown on me now. These two quilts will be so much snugglier than our ancient sleeping bags when we go camping this summer!

This morning I drove over to the Gateway Max (rapid transit) station in Portland to pick up Pam. I love meeting bloggers in person! Pam is down from Vancouver, British Columbia with her husband who is here for work. We had a very enjoyable day. Since Pam lives in Canada and doesn't always have the best access to quilt shops I figured she'd enjoy visiting a few around here.

Pam made me a lovely little bag that she filled with Canadian chocolate, yummy body lotion and a glasses case that she'd made. What a sweet thing for her to do! Needless to say the chocolate is half gone already. My close-up glasses are snuggled in their new pouch - so much more chic than an old black case from the optical shop!

First we went to Speckled Hen in Wilsonville, which was a featured quilt shop in the last Quilt Sampler magazine. I knew I could get in real trouble at that shop if I let myself. I came home with six fat quarters which were bought with a specific purpose in mind. I've been looking for lighter double pink repro fabrics that are period correct for my mid-century album quilt - I sure hope that's what I found. I'll know for sure when I take them to the next class to be OK'd by our instructor. I also got three stitchery patterns that I couldn't resist.

After a Starbucks stop we headed up I-5 to A Common Thread in Lake Oswego where Pam found a beautiful large print for a bag. Next we headed over into my neck of the woods to go to a funky shop in Battle Ground called Country Manor. Susan's shop is in an outbuilding behind her house. It's the best place I know of for finding a fabric that's been out for awhile. Once again it lived up to it's reputation - Pam found an old Moda print from the Wuthering Heights line that she's been looking for. I kept my hands clasped tightly together at the last two shops and managed to buy nothing - hooray!

We had a lovely lunch at Applebee's and then headed back to Portland where I dropped Pam off at a MAX station so she could head back to downtown Portland to meet her husband. It was so much fun to spend this time together! And thank goodness for retirement - I couldn't have done this otherwise!
************
Gratitudes:
1. Sunshine on a cold winter day
2. A new friend
3. My Santa mug filled with hot tea and milk (who cares that Christmas is past!)
4. A sweet, fresh pear
5. Comfy, familiar blue jeans

26 comments:

Sweet P said...

So who is who in the photo? Both of you look so happy. Sounds like a wonderful day.

Carol said...

What a wonderful, wonderful day!

jodie said...

Sounds like you had a great day, so glad you are enjoying your retirement. I love Leftovers, it looks great.
Jodie

Silverthimble said...

What a wonderful day! Pam and I have been writing back and forth through our blogs for over a year. I am embarassed to say, that although Pam and I live just 1 1/2 hours apart--in the same country no less--we have never met in person!

atet said...

What a great day you had -- I know I wouldn't have shown that kind of restraint! Love the fabrics you did find and your recent finishes! (Those UFO block quilts are simply fantastic!)

Tazzie said...

How fun that you and Pam were able to spend the day together. Isn't the www making the world so much smaller?
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

antique quilter said...

good for you on the shopping today! Glad you had a good time. How nice to meet another blogger.
Love those pink fabrics you found!
I wished I could have clicked on the photo of the patterns you bought and seen them better .
what does the one with the house say?
Kathie

Carol E. said...

You and Pam could be sisters. Sounds like you had such fun. I love your Leftovers quilt!! Isn't it amazing how a whole quilt can be hiding in a scrap or orphan box?

Laurie Ann said...

It is fun to meet fellow bloggers. Looks like you both had a good time!

Judy said...

What a great day with a new friend! Hooray for retirement!

Kristie said...

I'm so glad that you two had such a great time.
Kristie

Mary Johnson said...

Both quilts look great Patti. Looks like you exhibited lots of self control on the *shop hop* with Pam!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

The quilt is beautiful.

Darlene said...

What a delightful day for both of you! Thank you for sharing, Patti.

Susan said...

Two of my favorite bloggers sharing the day. That is great.

Pam said...

That picture of us is not bad Patti :)))

Thanks so much for the great day - I really had a fun time!!! I am still here in Portland, not much time on the computer - busy looking for a baby stroller now - LOL!!!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh how fun to meet her! And what fun shopping! And I just LOVE your leftover quilt! I love the green border!

Doodlebug Gail said...

What fun to meet a friend in person for the first time - glad you had such a great time. Love the pinks you bought.

Quilter Kathy said...

How wonderful to spend time shopping with a fellow quilter! Glad to hear you are enjoying your retirement!

Alison said...

I just love your pink f.q.'s. I just used a bunch of pinks in a table runner I just made for Valentines Day. I also adore your stitchery patterns. I want to do more stitchery.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Wow, Leftovers came out fantastic. I seriously love this one too. So much movement throughout the quilt, joyful bright colors - fabulous.

Purple Pam said...

Your Crumb Chaos quilt is very colorful, so bright and cheery. The number of crumb blocks you have made is fabulous. How long did it take you?

Wendy said...

What fun to meet a blogging friend and spend the day shopping for fabric. Hurray for your retirement.

The quilt looks great as well. Your not really taking that camping are you?

Jenni said...

Love those double pinks - I saw the other half on Pam's blog.

Carole said...

Pam just e-mailed me the link to your meeting. She had told me about it but I did not know that the Patti in Washington was you! Looks like you guys had a lovely day. Even in my neck of the woods we are not blessed with quilt shops. Thank you for sharing!

MaryLu said...

I LOVE Contry manor. We always drive the little bit out of our way to stop by when we travel through. If you are ever up in the Tacoma/Olympia area, don't miss stopping at Gee-Gee's Quilting in Yelm. She has the largest shop in Washington. Many, many beautiful fabrics, lots of Civil war, Moda and Quilt for the Cure fabrics too. Just a plug from a happy customer.