Friday, August 30, 2013

Now I'm really all over the place!

Week before last was the Pacific West Quilt Show in Tacoma, WA - a little over 2 hours north of us.  I've been looking forward to this show for a LONG time.  Three of my Tangled Threads friends and I headed north for a wonderful day . . . the other was totally envious as she had to go to a wedding. 

The group, formerly known as the Association of Pacific Northwest Quilters, includes the states of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington,and Wyoming in the US, and British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Yukon, and the Northwest Territories in Canada.  The juried show is held every other year, and is always spectacular.

This year was no exception.  Amazingly spectacular quilts, including several from our guild, Clark County Quilters in Vancouver WA.  I took lots of pictures, but I'm going to include only a few.  I was so enthralled that I forgot to take pictures of the labels, and I really don't like to post pictures without giving the maker credit.



The reflections are created with scraps cut with pinking shears!



Made by Helene Knott, Portland OR



I've already set myself a new goal - to have a quilt juried into the 2015 show.  Wish me luck!

Of course, I did some damage in the merchant mall.  I bought more batiks to add to my growing collection, and I bought another pattern.  It is one I've loved ever since I first saw it.  Every fall I tell myself that this is the year I'll actually start a fall quilt.  This year I'm going to do it.  Come September all that calls to me are yellows, oranges, reds, greens, golds, and browns.  So what did I choose?

Baltimore Autumn by Pearl P. Pereira
 The blocks are 12", which is smaller than I want, so today I'm taking them to Fed-X today to have them enlarged to 15".  That will give me a bed size quilt instead of a wall quilt, and the applique pieces won't be quite so small.  I've bought my background fabric, and have plenty in my stash for the applique.  Once I bring my enlarged patterns home I don't know if I'll have the will power to not start it right away!

An added aside:  When I showed my purchases to my friends I learned why the quilt looked so familiar to me.  One of them already had the pattern, and two more of them are getting it as a block of the month.  Makes me smile - so often our group has similar tastes!  No one has started making it yet, however.  I plan to be the first to start.

6 comments:

Pam said...

Yowza! I have this one too :) I am terrified of it - Lol. I never thought to enlarge it, but it makes perfect sense - thanks for the idea!!

Quilting Tangent said...

Your red quilt and tree quilt are very beautiful.

cityquilter grace said...

ooh patti, that is soooo gorgeous, and i agree, autumn always prompts me to those colors for quilts....be sure and show us every step!

cityquilter grace said...

ooh patti, that is soooo gorgeous, and i agree, autumn always prompts me to those colors for quilts....be sure and show us every step!

sewkalico said...

Stunning new project planned. I am going to a local-ish quilt show tomorrow and can't wait. I need some quilt eye-candy to kick me into serious action lol

Kathy said...

Wow, what a treat to see all those gorgeous quilts! And the Baltimore Album pattern is stunning. I'll look forward to seeing updates as you work on it!