Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Another top done

I have finished watching the five X-Men movies I borrowed from my son-in-law.  I thoroughly enjoyed each  one, and wish I could have seen them before I saw Wolverine.  I discovered quickly that I had to watch the screen too much to allow for rotary cutting.  Safe rotary cutting.  So I started - and finished - the embroidered words on this eagle quilt top.


The designer stitched the name "Ann Hutton" on the left corner under the word "there".  I had never heard of Ann Hutton, but American history was never my best subject.   I tried to find out who she was, using "1797" as part of my Internet search string, but couldn't find anything about her at all.  So I researched the quote, and found many, many references to it.  Every one of them attributed the quote to Benjamin Franklin.  So used his name, shortening it to "Ben" Franklin as there wasn't enough room in the corner for anything longer.  I really like how this turned out.  It will definitely be finished in time to join my other patriotic decorations next Summer.

3 comments:

Julierose said...

I love your applique pieces; haven't attempted to finish my Patek house as yet...still feeling under the weather and since I find it kind of "frustrating" to applique, it'll have to wait up on its shelf in my closet...hugs, Julierose

Quilts And Pieces said...

Another wonderful finish!

Chelsea said...

I think you're right about who the quote is attributed to, but while searching for Ann Hutton I ran across several reproduction samplers that were called MARY Anne Hutton 1801 Reproduction Samplers. Maybe there is a connection there?