Wednesday, August 9, 2006

Warm Hearts

Well ladies, I lost the battle. I've looked at too many Christmas collections for too many years to pass this one up. I made the decision after I looked at my books to see what I could make with it. I know I'm going to be so glad I did this. It's perfect for our Christmas quilt. I'll start on it as soon as it gets here, so there is no chance of it going into my stash.

The quilt I'm making is large - 94" square. It's designed by two of my most favorite designers - Alma Allen and Barb Adams of Blackbird Designs. I've had this book for several years - it was published in 2001 and I bought it soon after it came out. I've wanted to make this quilt ever since I first saw it. The blocks are large - 20" square. The appliqué pieces are nice and large. I want to add some plaids - I'm sure I have some in my stash that will work. I chose the green stripe for the background. I can hardly wait to get started with this!

This will be similar in many ways to my Friendship Garden quilt, that I posted early on in my blog. This quilt was designed by Alma Allen (half of Blackbird Designs) and Cherie Ralston, another of my most favorite designers. I've posted the picture of it here again for you readers who only recently found me. I did this one quite painlessly by setting a goal to finish one block each month. I'll do this one the same way, and shoot for a finished quilt for Christmas 2007. It will be my hope that this becomes a family heirloom passed down to my grandchildren and great grandchildren.

So please don't judge me too harshly, though I am prepared to receive 10 lashes with a wet fabric strip for falling off the wagon so dreadfully.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see it. I'm sure it will be lovely.

Anonymous said...

Look at those quilts- how can getting the fabric and starting immediately on something like that be wrong??? Definitely heirloom material.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you'll enjoy the fabric, and at least it wont feed the stash.... will you get back on the wagon and go one month form today without more fabric purchases??? :-)

Anonymous said...

The green stripe in the Misletoe Manor line is perfect for the quilt you want to make. I don't blame you for getting the fabric. Buy it when you see it or you might not have a chance again. It is a gorgeous line of fabric!

Anonymous said...

I looked at the Mistletoe Manor range last week. It really is nice. So far i have stopped myself from buying it. Look forward to seeing your progress using these fabrics.

Anonymous said...

no Patti, no wet lashes for you. You have a plan and will use it right away--and if your heart sings when you get it, then you know you did the right thing. Your Friendship Garden is stunning--can't wait to see the next one. I'm making a series of Christmas quilts too--but am using RP fabrics. I'm handquilting them myself--or am having my Amish friend quilt them, as I hope these will be heirlooms and treasured. So enjoy your new purchase--it makes you smile, which makes us smile! :)

Anonymous said...

No wet lashes! Just relax and wait for the package to arrive. I can "hear" your excitement in your note. Enjoy it when it does.

Anonymous said...

I can tell you really wanted this and have already found the perfect project for it. With hopes you can get it done and have a new Christmas quilt this year :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that it is really beautiful fabric and the quilt you have picked out to make is perfect for the fabric. But I think you have to take off your No New Fabric in August button!! That will be your punishment -- haha.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Friendship Garden reminds me of the Pennsylvania Dutch. :)

Anonymous said...

Good for you Patti...you are happy and that's what matters. ENJOY!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! You have a plan to use the fabric in a stunning way. I can't wait to watch your progress on the quilt.

Anonymous said...

Great Post - Good luck!
Melanie

Anonymous said...

Hooray, wonderful quilt, just that subtle evocation of Christmas. What a plan, Mistletoe Manor is beyond gorgeous. Love the black (or dark?) corners on Friendship Garden; are the quilt fabrics on that one from a certain line or a combination?

Anonymous said...

This will be a lovely quilt. If it was something I had been searching for a long time I would have bought it without hesitation. And at least it has a purpose right now and will not be stuck in stash.

Anonymous said...

You know it was only a GOAL! (Every baseball player's goal is to will the world series - How many actually do it?) Also you are a grown up with your own finances. This is a hobby, we do it because it makes us happy.

(Did you get me any of the polka dots?)

Anonymous said...

have to agree with everyone-it's the perfect fabric for what you want to use it for-a girl must follow her dream after all-and we know you will get this quilt done! so enjoy this new fabric when it arrives :-)

Anonymous said...

As they say, rules are made to be broken LOL! And I have that very same book which I bought for that very same quilt!!! In fact, I even purchased the tan and red border piece--last dab they had at the old Liberty Quilt Shop. I adore that quilt and it is on my to-do list also. You were smart to listen to your heart.

Anonymous said...

You must start the quilt soon after this miracle fabric arrives though, Patti---you have dreamed about it far too long to let it sit on the shelf. They just did not print what you were seeing in your minds eye till now---you were set up by the fabric company, that's all.

your penance, remove the button and admit your downfall which you did and make that quilt!!

Anonymous said...

You know, if your children don't want your xmas heirloom when it gets finished I'll take it! I lvoe that quilt! Can't wait to see your blocks as they get done!

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful pattern and I'm sure your quilt will be too. I'll look forward to seeing your progress on it.

Anonymous said...

Patti,
Don't beat yourself up about this. Too bad they don't have lay-away, though.
A block a month is an ambitious goal in itself. Good luck. It's a beautiful quilt.
I found that most of my UFOs are applique projects. I lose heart before I'm done. I like your block a month idea. I'll have to give it a try along with Judy's hour a day quilt.

Anonymous said...

I don't think anyone wants to scold you Patti for following your heart. When something speaks to our heart and soul, it's wise to listen..*VBS* Hugs, Finn

So glad you got what you needed while it was available.