Thursday, August 3, 2006

Scrap quilts

Several people have asked me whether I've decided what I'm going to make next with my scraps. That's a tough one. There are so many, many scrap quilts I want to make. I need to get back to my string quilt before it becomes a true UFO, and my string tote is overflowing. My drawers of strips are overflowing also, so I want to start working with them. And I want to try making some Mile-A-Minute blocks. And that's just a start. Since scrap quilts are my favorites I've been collecting books of scrap quilts since I first started quilting. These books are some of my favorites to take to bed with me for quilty reading in the evening (Maybe that's why I have trouble going to sleep - I keep quilting in my head!). A couple of my favorite books are Quick and Easy Scrap Quilts by Leisure Arts and American Country Scrap Quilts by Fons and Porter. (I've linked the titles to copies of the books for sale on www.half.com.) I've been drooling over quilts in these books for years. Tonight I scanned some of the quilts I like the best - all are on my "must make someday" list. I thought you might enjoy seeing them . The scraps I'm cutting are perfect for any of these quilts. The piecing is straight forward and simple, and all blocks can be drafted easily on graph paper or in a quilting software program. They are also easily resized. The hardest thing is choosing which one to do first! I'm leaning towards "Flock of Geese Medallion". I guess I'm not yet tired of working with half square triangle squares!

From the top of the post down they are "Churn Dash", "Flock of Geese Medallion", "Four Patch Star", "Kansas Troubles", "Nine Patch", "Scrappy Stars", and Jewel Box.

That's enough to keep me busy for a few years, don't you think?

Some of you have also asked me about the sizes and shapes I'm cutting all my scraps. I'll summarize that for you here. I've decided on these because they fit all the patterns I want to do. Squares 5", 4.5", 3.5", 2.5" and 2". Bricks 3.5"x 6.5", 2.5"x 4.5", 2"x 3.5", and 1.5"x 2.5". Strips 1.5" wide, 2" wide, 2.5" wide and 3.5" wide. Half square triangle squares 1.5", 2.5", 3.5" and 4.5". I also cut half square triangles from oddly shaped scraps (appliquérs have a lot of those) that will match squares of the following sizes: 2.5", 3.5" and 4.5". I have separate totes or drawers for most all of these. I also have a tote for strings and another tote for "crumbs'. I can't stand throwing away anything that's about 1" square or larger. I know many people don't save such small scraps, and that's fine for them. This is just what works for me.

It's getting very late, and my alarm will ring early tomorrow. Seems like pictures I scan always take way longer to upload than camera pictures. My scanner must be set to scan large. Not sure how to change that - I don't think we ever got a book with it as it was the floor model.

All the quilt pictures will enlarge quite a bit if you click on them. I just tried it, and noticed that I scanned almost all of them upside down. Oh well, with these quilts it really doesn't make any difference!



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lots of choices! Can't wait to see which one you decide on.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful choices Patti...thank you for sharing the sizes that you cut your scraps...that will be my next project...I have tons to tackle!

Anonymous said...

thanks for all the pictures - I am falling in love with that four patch star - the colors are wonderful - and thanks for talking about your scrap cutting - I was wondering about that too
happy friday!

Anonymous said...

So many choices - so little time. I made the 9 Patch and Hour Glass quilt a few years back. It's kept in the back of my Jeep for spontaneous picnics. You'll enjoy yourself no matter which you pick to start on first.

Anonymous said...

You mentioned doing some Mile A Minute Blocks...is that a pattern? You have my brain spinning with scrap quilt thoughts.

Anonymous said...

These pictures are killing me - I think I have the same books and am just trying to NOT start anything new this month.

My Mom made me the nine patch quilt shown in one of your pictures - I love it.

Anonymous said...

Love the quilts!! All good choices!!

Anonymous said...

I have that Leasure Arts book... Now I am wanting the other one... (No new books... not even for $4 at half.com.)

Anonymous said...

OH sure, I haven't had hardly any time to quilt or blog or read blogs and you post a great scrap book I don't have! So I already had to go over to borders and order the fons and porter one American Country Scrap Quilts. Yes it was only $6.75 and on half.com it was 1/2 that, but I'm so tired, hot and lazy I could do one click on borders! So it is ordered - I can't wait!