Sunday, August 13, 2006

Progress on "It's a Wonderful Life"


I finally finished the appliqué on the last block of "It's a Wonderful Life". Not sure why this one took so long. I know I stopped to do a lot of piecing - that was probably a lot of the delay. I wasn't at all excited about this block either I guess I should have done something different with it like Jeanne did. At least I didn't have to turn the edges under on all those little blue circles - I used felted wool so I could leave the edges raw. The background is a pale green; it doesn't look that color in the picture. Now that it's sewn into place it looks just fine with the rest of the blocks.

This block is the upper left corner of the quilt. It's stitched into place and all the borders are on. I'm not posting a picture of it with the borders until I do the border appliqué. Normally I do that before stitching borders on, but there is way too much overlap to the quilt itself on this top. I'm eager to get this one finished so I can begin Warm Hearts as soon as the fabric arrives and I get it prewashed. Hopefully I can get the rest of the appliqué prepped so I can take it to Mt. Rainier to work on when we aren't hiking.

************
Gratitudes:

1. A wonderful day trip with quilting friends.
2. Talented Pacific Northwest quilters.
3. "It's a Wonderful Life" top nearing completion
4. Reproduction fabrics
5. Three day work week this week!

************

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you didn't have to turn all the blue dots! that would have been murder... looks like an interesting collection...

Anonymous said...

you have a lot done ! Smart using the wool for the dots, I will have to remember that whenever I am about to do dots.

Anonymous said...

That is a lot of applique! No wonder you joined the Applique Society! *LOL*

Anonymous said...

Those flowers are adorable - especially the blue dot one. And your quilt is looking fantastic. Almost makes me wish I did applique.

Anonymous said...

looking good! and that is a LOT of dots! I sure love appliqued quilts but just can't seem to get around to them. I end up turning to machine applique to get them done. you've done a great job hanging in there!

Anonymous said...

Great idea for all those dots! I'll have to remember that. Great looking quilt - can't wait to see the appliqued borders.

Anonymous said...

That's looking good! I like the rabbit and the heart the best, I think... :)

Anonymous said...

The last block is great! Could be all those little circles that ate up the time. =)

The whole thing looks very warm and friendly.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Patti, congratulations on getting the last block made. It's going to be a fantastic quilt, can't wait to see the appliqued borders. Like the house block with the log cabin side and the one with the checked bunny.

Anonymous said...

I just love it and we're on the same wave length. I did my block when we were at the beach for a week in July and I did the same thing with the blue dots...felted wool. I use it whenever I can. It is so easy to work with and doesn't have to be turned under :)

Anonymous said...

way to go! glad you are on a roll with this quilt and getting ready for all that yummy fabric on it's way.

Anonymous said...

i love your quilt with such a variety of blocks.

Anonymous said...

Excellant choice with the wool! I've also used ultra suede, but it cost a fortune.

I think it turned out beautifully, as did the whole quilt!! Can't wait to see the borders on and all appliqued!

Anonymous said...

I love this block, it looks so primitive and folky. What a great idea to use wool!

Anonymous said...

Oh that is too funny that you weren't thrilled with the block. I loved that block when I saw the quilt. I wasn't to thrilled with the whales and sail boat! Isn't that fun how everyone has different ideas! In any case it looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

That is such an interesting quilt. I love quilts like that.

Judy L.

Anonymous said...

The quilt is coming along great. Love the stylised long skinny flowers too :-)