Monday, August 21, 2006

Warm Hearts and Mistletoe Manor


My Mistletoe Manor fabrics were waiting for me when we got home yesterday. What a lovely thing to come home to! I am so glad I got these - they are more beautiful than I could have imagined, and are exactly what I've looked for several years to find. The Warm Hearts quilt will be made from these plus some others I pull from my stash. I can hardly wait to get started!

The pale green stripe will be the background. The red with the tiny floral will be the sashing and border. The pink tone on tone is the other color for the sashing and border. The rest of the fabrics will be the appliqué. I'm pretty sure I'll need to pull more greens from my stash to have enough for all the bias stems. Since there are so many little "berry" shapes on this quilt I may decide to do them in wool. Otherwise that's going to be an awful lot of tiny little circles to stitch with turned under edges. I'll have to see how the wool looks with the rest of the fabrics. I have some beautiful hand dyed felted wool that might be perfect. It's been years since I've been this excited about starting a quilt!

I'm still on a funky sleep schedule - slept in until almost 9:00 a.m.! It's going to be a rude awakening when that alarm rings at 5:00 a.m. tomorrow. This afternoon we are headed about an hour south into Oregon to the outlet stores at Woodburn. My husband needs some "back to school clothes" as school for him starts on Friday. On the way home we'll stop to pick up my featherweight cabinet. Can hardly wait to get that in my sewing room to see how it looks!

I sure wasn't thinking clearly when I set myself a goal to quilt 5 tops this month. I didn't stop to think that I didn't have a single weekend left that I'd be spending at home! Besides that, we are still having extra hot weather - at least for us. When the temperature is 85 to 90 in the quilting room neither Gandalf nor I can take the heat. Even if I could take it the computer that regulates the stitch length, machine speed, etc. can't take it. It forgets to stop sewing even when I stop moving the machine - and that doesn't work well at all!

Better get dressed now - Fred wants to leave by 1:00!

************
Gratitudes:

1. A wonderful camping trip
2. New fabric to love
3. One last day of vacation
4. Trip with my kids coming up next weekend
5. Grandchildren on the way - I think I finally have the kids permission to talk about this!

************

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Patti, your Warm Hearts quilt is going to be sooooo pretty. I can't wait for you to get started. Hurry, hurry! And, it's nice to "hear" your excitement.
:-)

I noticed something in an earlier blog posting that might mean that a grandchild might be on the way. I hope so - Congratulations to you and Fred if that's the case!

Anonymous said...

Your quilt is going to be just wonderful! I think I may like it better than Alma and Barb's. Can't wait to see your Featherweight table...I remember you talking about that a while ago. A grandbaby...is this your first? We're having our first in December. Very exciting!

Anonymous said...

This will be a wonderful quilt. I love your colours and the pattern.
Hugs from Norway

Anonymous said...

Patti,
Your quilt will be gorgeous. I saw the line of fabric in person last week and it is delicious. I'll put in my vote for wool berries. Working with wool is fun and forgiving and just adds a little bit of texture to your quilt to make it sing.

Anonymous said...

Wow - your fabrics are just gorgeous. So nice that they met your expectations and it will fulfill a desire you've had for a while. Can't wait to see how your quilt turns out!

Anonymous said...

ooooh . . . that collection is adorable. Your quilt will be even more gorgeous and well loved.

Anonymous said...

love the excitement of your new fabrics and the great camping trip you enjoyed-welcome home!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes those are beautiful and will be so perfect for that quilt! I saw the red stripe last week in a shop and wanted to buy the whole bolt, but at $9.00/yd at that shop I just couldn't afford that! :)

I can't wait to see your progress on this!

Anonymous said...

glad you like the fabrics in person even more than at a distance... :-)

Anonymous said...

Ohh, congrats on the coming grandchild! Can we say BABY quilts? lol

Very nice fabric line you have there. :)

Anonymous said...

The fabrics look absolutely wonderful Patti! I think they will make a spectacular quilt.

I'm so happy you found what fills your hearts desire, and opted to get them while you could. It is a large number of pieces in that collection. Glad you got what you wanted and needed..*VBS* Hugs, Finn

Anonymous said...

Keep us posted with updates on the new quilt. It is nice to see you so excited about this one! As hot as it is now, I just know I am going to be the first one disappointed when the sun disappears and the rain starts!

Anonymous said...

The fabric is lovely - such a big selection. Did you buy the whole lot? The quilt looks intricate - applique is not something I have tried yet.
It must be nice to have your own quilting machine.

Anonymous said...

You sound so happy about your new fabrics and the lovely quilt you are about to make. I am looking forward to follow your progress. Congratulations on the coming of the grandbaby :-)

Anonymous said...

Love your fabric choices. The Warm Hearts quilt is going to look lovely in those fabrics.

Anonymous said...

OOH! I can just feel those fabrics. That quilt will be awesome when it's done. Please post the progress.
A grandbaby-how wonderful. Isn't good news a great change?
Thanks for sharing those pics of the National Park.

Anonymous said...

YUMMY fabrics... I can't wait to see this quilt emerge block by block!

Anonymous said...

I went the other day to check out the Z&S store and saw that they now have the green stripe in stock again. I almost bought a few yards just because it's so perfect for applique backgrounds. I still might. I think you got a great selection! No way you won't have just the perfect spot for everything.

Another alternative to wool, but more expensive would be ultra suede. Some of the discount places have cheaper prices and no turned under edges either!

Anonymous said...

This has one of my favorite color schemes. It should be beautiful.

I liked your pictures of Mt. Rainier too. I have happy memories of a visit there on a perfect day in 1980. We drove back to Seattle, and the next day we heard that Mt. St. Helens had erupted!

And finally, thanks for visiting my blog, and for your kind comments.

Anonymous said...

Wow, look at all the fabric that I know you are itching to use for your quilt.

AND grandchildren---how wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

The wool is a great idea for the berries. Might need to use this on some of my projects.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having the same problem I am - I'm not getting much done because we're gone so much the last couple months. I leave for my Seattle trip tomorrow and then back to VA for the first week of Sept. I'd really like about a month with NO committments and then maybe I'd get caught up.

Anonymous said...

Well, where's your picture of your cabinet for your featherweight? Did you pick up as you hoped to???

Anonymous said...

What a beautifull fabrics. The moda mistletoe manor also arrived on my doorstep yesterday, together with tulip times and they look so good. My hand are already itching to do something with them.

Anonymous said...

that's going to be a beautiful quilt!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a gorgeous collection of fabric. I will continue to visit you blog to keep up on your progress. Your enthusiasm and excitement shows in your post!

Congratulations on your "grandbaby" news - your first?

Anonymous said...

Funny - I was thinking of doing this quilt myself! I just LOVE the colours they've chosen and all those fabrics are just out of this world :-) I'm sure you'll really enjoy putting this one together.

Anonymous said...

I love the colours you've pulled together. Don't they work well!

I am excited for you - all that fabric will surely make the most beautiful quilt. Good thinking re the berries! I hope that wool idea works out for you.

Anonymous said...

Patti,

Mt. Rainier looks like a place my family would love to visit. We have talked about heading out your way. Maybe next summer????

Love the photos. Glad you had good weather