Friday, August 25, 2006

Friday thoughts

I've loved reading the various postings from bloggers about why they quilt. There are so many different reasons, and each person's are a little different. I hope more of you will think about my question and take time to post an answer.

As I was taking a break from work to run to the post office, I started thinking about my question and the answers that others have posted. I immediately thought of three more reasons why I quilt. I knew there were more that didn't occur to me yesterday as I was rushing to finish before my ride arrived.

I quilt because I make cherished friendships with other quilters, both in person and all over the world through the magic of the Internet. I think quilters are the nicest people in the entire world. They are almost always such creative, loving and giving people. I'd rather spend my time with quilters than anyone else other than my family.

I quilt because I love the way my home looks and feels with quilts in every room. I love quilts on the walls, the bed, the couch, the chairs, the quilt racks, the tables and anywhere else I can think to put them. I love the warm friendly feeling they give a room. I love to snuggle under them for a nap or at night. I love to change them with the seasons. I can't imagine living in a home without quilts.

I quilt because I love contributing quilts to charities. It's so much more personal than giving money. Quilts can fill a need at so many different troubled times. I can give of myself this way, even when I'm not able to work for charities in any other way.

I quilt because I love being able to look at something beautiful and know that I made it. There are so very many things that I will never be able to do, but as an accomplished quilter I can feel good about what I create. Everyone needs to be good at something - something they can be proud of. Quilting fulfills that need for me.

How many of you are familiar with Cathy Miller, the Singing Quilter? I have the three CD's that she's recorded, and eagerly await the new one due out in September. Many of the songs she writes are so expressive of the reasons I love quilting. Some are very funny, some make me cry every time I hear them, some make me want to get up and dance. All of them are wonderful. You can hear parts of many of the songs on her website. I currently have all the CD's in my CRV and I sing with them going back and forth to work. Here are excerpts from a couple that really speak to my love of quilting and my need to quilt. I had the good fortune to hear her and her husband in person last September when they performed for our guild. I encourage you to search out her music if you aren't familiar with her.

First chorus from "In a Quilters World". written by Rick Speyer and performed by Cathy Miller. In the CD "A Quilters World":

"In a quilter's world, it all take time
Stitch and sew, adjust the line
Solitude and quiet, her companions
And that sewing room is a sacred place
Where work and art come face to face
Traditions passed on from long ago."

Last verse and chorus of "My Hands" written and performed by Cathy Miller. In the CD "A Quilters Embrace":

"I live for the beauty my hands create
The gardens I grow, the bread I make
The music I play, the quilts I sew
I'll work with my hands until I go.

The lines grow deep, the years go by
Before I sleep, these hands must try
To leave my mark in the sands
Made with these two hands."






10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of the Singing Quilte. I will check her out!

Anonymous said...

Terrific post, Patti. Since I have been in a bit of a slump the last two weeks, I will have to give it a bit more thought before I post anything in response.

Anonymous said...

Very well articulated!

I think I quilt because I'm a Maker. There are those in the world that build up, and others that need to tear down ... I'm quoting Orson Scott Card, whose books are filled with Makers and Unmakers.

It's true of many quilters, because we're also, as a group excellent writers and knitters and artists and cooks... etc.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Patti. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Quite a few years back I heard something that made me stop to think why quilting becomes such a passion....it is wholistic. It engages our heads, our hearts and our hands. That sums it up for me!

Anonymous said...

Your thoughts have given ME alot to think about. I'm still not sure I can answer the "why do you quilt question".

Anonymous said...

I am very new to quilting, but I started because I saw the most amazing navy and white quilt hanging up in a shop in Tilba Tilba in regional Australia and it was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I was inspired. I felt I needed to do something with my hands, something creative and something just for me. I didn't know what that 'thing' was until I saw that quilt. I am only on my first quilt, but I am addicted already. The best thing about quilting, for me, is that everyone can do it if they want and that no two quilts will ever be the same.

Thank you Patti :)

Anonymous said...

Cathy Miller came to our quilt guild meeting a few years ago and performed. She was so good, very entertaining. Really enjoyed her and her husband who tours with her.

Anonymous said...

I would love to know, how you managed to get the ords right of the pictures ........
I tried it, but it didn't work.
www.beadtex/blogspot.com
Brigitte Baierl in German
brigitte@baierl-home.de

Anonymous said...

I gained interest in quilting late in my lyfe. Quilts as you know them, have no tradition in my country (Portugal). I had contact with the first pictures in the internet when I was searching for other crafts. Then I fell in love for the multiplicity of technics, designs and colours. For me it was a new world to discover. Like most of the quilters, I love fabrics, the colours, the touch. I found I can use quilt all over my home and I did it. I love the confort of a quilt in my bed, the brightness in a wall hanging, the warmth feeling when I put one on my knees. And now quilts are precious gifts I make for my close friends. Quilts are not my life but they are a nice part of it.