Sunday, August 13, 2006

Den Haan and Wagonmakers

Here is more info about the Dutch fabric I bought:

"This very old Dutch company reproduces chintz fabrics for handmade quilts and garments using document fabrics which were brought by the merchants of the Dutch East India Company (VOC founded in 1597) from India's Coromandel coast to the Netherlands during the 17th and early 18th century. These shiny chintz fabrics featuring floral and tree of life designs were popular for not only the interior of Dutch homes but also for women's clothing.

The handprinted fabric panels (palampores) often depict a tree of life. The word palampore comes from a Persian-Hindu word meaning bed-covering, garment or prayer rug. The design, a central tree on a mound or rockery, and featuring a light background and floral borders reflected Persian art (handpainted miniatures) of that period.

The fabrics of den Haan and Wagonmakers are 60" wide and lightly glazed. The designs include early Dutch chintzes, wax printed indigos and prints of Provence. Reproductionfabrics.com is the proud North American distributor of these exquisite reproductions."

I also could have purchased a tree of life panel which would have made a fabulous center of my medallion, as well as a wonderful feeling white fabric that wasn't muslin or broadcloth that was typical of the period, but I decided I had to draw the line somewhere. I really can do that! :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh - I wanted those so bad! But I had already bought a bunch of Amy Butler fabric and just couldn't be sure it wouldn't be too much at the border. I see they have some on the web site I will defintely order some. It was a wonderful show and the winning quilt was stunning.

Anonymous said...

I went into this booth too - I bought a fat quarter pack of the prussian blue that my daughter liked but I had a budget for the day since I am on this fabric diet and I didn't want to go over. But it was cool to see and hear about the fabrics she had and the cool old fabric textile book that they are using to make their reproductions.

Anonymous said...

What gorgeous fabrics! Will you post your project as you work on it, please? Glad you had souch a great time!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a fabulous time at the quilt show, and the fabrics in the picture look wonderful! Glad you had fun, and found a friend in the crowd.