Saturday, December 30, 2006

Stars for Sophie

This seems like an appropriate name for this baby quilt, don't you think? Four large stars being formed by many smaller stars. The first block went together nicely without much thought, but I struggled with the next two, doing some ripping since I'm spatially challenged. I figured the quilt would take forever judging by the length of time it took to do blocks two and three - two of the blocks that are split into light and dark diagonally. I knew I had to figure out a system. So I kept looking at the blocks and finally realized all I need to is make the half light-half dark centers and work from there. All the split blocks are the same - it's just their orientation that makes them look different. This allowed me to piece more blocks quickly, but also made me realize that I don't have nearly enough "parts" constructed. So once I did these I went back to constructing parts. I tried once again to count what I need by looking at the picture, but it's just too easy to loose track of what I've counted and what I haven't counted. So I guess if I end up with extra parts or extra blocks they'll just go into the orphan block drawer or the half square triangle squares box. I think I'm starting to see purple triangles in my sleep these days!

My back is better tonight I'm happy to report, but I'm not going to chance aggravating it again by working with the longarm. The last army quilt will just have to wait until next weekend. I want to give my body plenty of time to heal. Sitting at the sewing machine doesn't seem to bother it at all, and standing to press or cut is OK as long as I take lots of breaks and do some stretching. I can sure tell the body isn't as young as it used to be.

I watched the movie The DaVinci Code while sewing today, then watched all the extras on the second disk including the interviews with Ron Howard, Tom Hanks and the others. I enjoyed reading the book - I know it's caused a great deal of controversy since it's publication, but I look at it as just a thriller of a fiction book and don't take anything in it seriously. I like most everything Ron Howard has done, and I wasn't disappointed in this. He did a great job of turning a challenging story into an engrossing film. The extra disk mentioned many little details in the movie that weren't at all evident in the first viewing, so I turned around and watched it again out of curiosity. It made the stitching of hundreds of purple triangles a bit less boring!

Just in case any of you stashbusters are reading this, I should mention that all the purples are from my stash with the exception of the darkest purple used as a background. The white and green (still to come) are also purchased fabrics. My son and daughter-in-law gave me paint swatches to match and I had nothing in the stash that would work. I am putting a serious dent in the other purple fabrics however!

If the back is still feeling OK in the morning I'll finish packing away the Christmas stuff. I want to do more sewing on Sophie's stars, but the packing away needs to come first. I'm not sure what time we are heading over to the kids house - I know I need to figure out some munchies to take along. At least I don't have to be creative like I do for Tangled Threads - the kids think vegetables and ranch dip and chips just suit the purpose. I didn't raise any gourmets - but then I didn't develop an adventuresome appetite until I was older
than they are now.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just loving Sophie's Stars!!! What a lucky grandbaby to be getting such a gorgeous quilt. Your color choices are amazing--as usual!

Anonymous said...

Sophie's star is a very stricking quilt! It'll be gorgeous to see the secondary star "appear"

Anonymous said...

Sophie's stars are coming together. You've been busy....

Anonymous said...

What a lovely "shadow" effect you are creating.

Cheers
Helen in NZ

Anonymous said...

I love the design of Sophie's Stars. I am a sucker for secondary patterns. Well done!

Anonymous said...

Sophie's Stars is awesome. I love the variations off purple you are using (but then I'm a sucker for anything with purple in it).

I haven't read or seen The DaVinci Code, but it sounds like I should check it out. When I'm working in my studio I usually pop in Gettysburg or Gods and Generals or some other war movie.

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful quilt. I enjoy reading about your challenges in assembling it. It is nice to now I am not the only one that is challenged in that way!

Anonymous said...

I like the pattern for Sophie's Stars, and just love the colors you are using. Purple is one of my all time favorites.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that your back is doing a little better! The quilt is looking fabulous so far.

Anonymous said...

So glad that you are feeling better. Sophie's quilt is just beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Phew! I can see your blog once more - I was getting worried there. I'm glad you are feeling better, having a bad back is no fun. I really like the design of Sophie's Stars, it is coming together so well.

Anonymous said...

The quilt looks great. I'm sure it will be just stunning when finished.

I just recently read The DaVinci Code - (I'm always a day late and a penny short) I really enjoyed the book - A great fictional murder mystery I thought. Haven't seen the movie yet, but maybe I should see it soon.

Anonymous said...

Patti, the quilt is looking really good. I really love purple and I can see how graphic it's going to turn out. Glad the back is getting better, take it easy. I have a last bit of cleaning to do too and afterwards I have sewing to finish...but not until the lights and tree come down!

Have a great game night!

Anonymous said...

Your purple quilt is looking wonderful - I'm sure I'd never be able to keep track of what goes where - I too enjoyed the book of the Da Vinci Code for the same reason I just read it as a good thriller and nothing more - Dan Brown's book Angels and Demons is even better - look it out you will enjoy it I'm sure

Anonymous said...

Love your new blocks. Don't remember seeing a pattern done like that before and it is going to be so effective. Great work :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful quilt!

Anonymous said...

What a clever gal you are -- this is beautiful! Love the shadow effect, or whatever you call it .. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! those stars look completely amazing, and I hope your back continues to mend,

Anonymous said...

Patti,
Sophie's quilt is really coming along, and it's beautiful!
Be careful with your back, a pinched nerve is nothing to fool around with at all. Mine was caused by a herniated disc-the disc was repaired but the nerve is still pinched.
I love how your sidebar looks, sometime I'm going to do that. Maybe I'll just live vicariously through yours. :)

Anonymous said...

Sophie's quilt is starting to just sparkle -- you have chosen a great pattern and a beautiful palette. She'll looke gorgeous coming home wrapped in it *s*

Anonymous said...

Wow Patti! It was gorgeous in the picture, but in real life it is really wonderful! Glad your back is starting to feel better. And I"m still drooling over your wonderful table for your featherweight. Someday I'll get one!

Anonymous said...

Hope your back feels better each day. Love the project lists in your sidebar.

Anonymous said...

Patty - Your "Stars for Sophie" is gorgeous. I love how the secondary star design just makes the quilt pop. You are going to have so much fun sewing for your granddaughter.

Anonymous said...

Sophie's Stars is a wonderful design! It would give spatially challenged me problems also.

Anonymous said...

Stars for Sophie is great! How will you guilt it? I too really enjoyed The DaVinci Code. The "extras" sound very interesting...My favorite book by Dan Brown is Angels and Demons...the illustrated book was great!

Anonymous said...

Patti it's looking great. Sophie is one lucky little girl! I am relieved and pleased to hear about your challenges in getting the light/dark combos right. I'm about to embark on my purple project (inspired by yours) and it's a tad confusing working out where to begin. I think I'm going to take the easy-ish way out and do flying geese! Looking forward to seeing how Stars for Sophie turns out :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your back is better, Patti. Take care. Sophie's Stars is going to be gorgeous! Can't wait to see the completed top.