Wednesday, December 6, 2006

It's beginning to look like Christmas!



Rebecca and Rick came over tonight to help us decorate. Fred and Rick put the evergreen bows and pinecones on top of the buffet, bookcases, and armoire while Rebecca and I decorated the downstairs trees. We have the tall one in the living room and a little feather tree on top of the treadle machine. That's all we got done tonight before time for bed - the rest will get done over the next couple afternoons and evenings.

Fall is my favorite season, but I love Christmas more than any other time of year. I have so many wonderful Christmas memories that I'll share in the coming days, and we make new memories every year. It's a season so full of love and joy and giving. Just decorating the tree brings back wonderful memories. There are the colored glass balls - now faded and splotchy - that Fred and I bought for half price the day after Christmas the first year we were married. That was Christmas 1969. The smaller balls - a dozen in a box marked $2.50 that we got for $1.25. The larger ones were marked $3.00 a box and went for $1.50. There are ornaments from years of Tangled Threads ornament exchanges. Ornaments the kids made growing up. Ornaments I've made over the years - some from cloth and some from other materials. There are the styrofoam balls covered with sequins and beads. The beads are lined up in order on straight pins with a sequin on the base and then pushed into the styrofoam. I made a bunch of them the second year we were married - I ordered the kits from the Lee Wards catalog. Does anyone remember that catalog? I used to get both it and Herrshners - and I'd drool over the needlework projecs in them both. Then there are ornaments from piano students and students from when I was a teacher. Ornaments made at various church functions. Ornaments I've collected on vacations. We have a very eclectic tree - nothing fancy about it. Just covered heavily with ornaments we love that bring back wonderful memories.

Still to come are the garlands on the stairs, around the front window and the archway into the dining room. Christmas dishes on the buffet, Christmas dolls around the room, candles and other things for around the house that bring back wonderful memories. Then comes the best part of all - getting up at 5:00 a.m., turning on the inside and outside lights, and snuggling down on the couch with a hot cup of tea just to gaze at the lights and revel in the joy and wonder of the season.

************
Gratitudes:

1. Papa Murphy's pizza - traditional tree decorating dinner
2. A tall husband
3. Christmas trees with "built in" lights
4. Christmas lights everywhere - one of my favorite things
5. Wonderful memories of Christmas past

************

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that evergreen around the dining alcove. That looks so Christmasy! As it does across the breakfront and the bookcases. I look forward to reading your Christmas stories. =)

Anonymous said...

I love your Santa on the door handle - his specs are such fun - there really are some lovely Christmas decorations to be had/bought/made aren't there?

Anonymous said...

Your tree sounds just like ours...no theme...just lots of wonderful memories. We had so much fun putting ours up last Sunday. Every year we look at those old ornaments and remember where we were and what we were doing. Lee Wards...now that is a memory. Loved that catalog...got in a lot of trouble with that one.

Anonymous said...

All looks beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Whimsical and wonderful. Enjoy the season, Patti.

Anonymous said...

ooooo, I absolutely love your doorhandle Santa. Did you have a pattern or instructions for him? I'm tempted to give making a mate a try just from the picture...

Anonymous said...

Aaaah, it looks lovely!
Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful ... the memories are just perfect for this time of year.
I still mourn the loss of Leewards *s*

Anonymous said...

Beautiful decorations - I like all of the greenery.

Anonymous said...

Everything is starting to look A LOT like Christmas in your house!! Everything looks wonderful Patti! I told hubby last night that I love it when the tree goes up and then when you clean up it always feels so empty for the first few days!

Anonymous said...

Everyone seems to be decorating for Christmas. We weren't going to decorate, but I'm beginning to think that perhaps a few strand of lights will be just fine.

Anonymous said...

Had to laugh at your "tall husband" gratitude. My DH is shorter than me so I get the "tall" jobs LOL. Love the pine stuff on top of the dresser and cupboards.

Anonymous said...

Hi Patti, it definitely is beginning to look alot like christmas!! And it all looks wonderful..*VBS* The love just shines out of your home being decorated for the holidays.
I love the Father Christmas and Santa too! A great bear..haven't made that one as yet.
And the Christmas table cloth..might just try that combination myself. I did make a Christmas table quilt for our 7' trestle table way back when, and then the people who bought our house wanted it, so we left it behind. Now I use the quilt on the back of the couch instead.
Even the Santa with the chickens looks familiar. Have always meant to make that one...even have Marcus Bros fabric earmarked for it..LOL I'm so a slow starter. Everything is looking just wonderful...and a big congratulations on being down the 4 pounds!! Hugs, Finn

Anonymous said...

I do love your Christmas quilt on the table. It is amazing how such a simple pattern is so stunning! Can't wait to see more!

Anonymous said...

Your decorations are beautiful. Seeing them has inspired me to finish my decorating.

Anonymous said...

My, my, my, you are looking good.

Yes, I remember Lee Wards. One year I got a kit to make sequin fruit from them. Wonder what ever happened to that fruit?

Thanks for the inspiration.