Friday, December 15, 2006

Beginning Sophie's quilt

Tonight I pulled purple fabrics to go with the other fabrics I bought for our first granddaughter's quilt. After all, she's due 2 months from today, so if she's going to have a quilt I'd better get going! I gave her parents many books of baby quilts plus baby quilts I'd pulled from quilting magazines, but this is the one that they really liked. It was on the back of a baby quilt design I'd pulled from an old Quiltmaker - early spring 1991. Of course I don't have the pattern any more - I just saved the pattern for the baby quilt - so I'll be constructing this one from the picture alone. Luckily that won't be hard as it's all half square triangle squares and flying geese units. This quilt of 10" blocks is 95" square - mine with 6" blocks will be quite a bit smaller. The

They brought me paint chips from doing Sophie's room to let me know the colors. This will be very scrappy - I pulled so many purples, violets and pinky purples from my stash! The only things I bought were the dark purple background, the grayed white that will serve as the light, and a green that will replace the narrow orchid inner border and orchid center. I've started cutting the dark purple background and hope to cut lots more parts this weekend. I'll most likely construct bunches and bunches of half square triangle squares and flying geese units, and then will start designing this on my design wall. It's a good thing I like to sew triangles! I think this will be lots of fun to make.

Tomorrow morning I head to Oregon to meet Cher and Cathi. I can hardly wait! We're meeting for coffee at 9:00. We're going to have a great time, and will make sure Cathi gets to some quilt shops! Cathi's family flew in today from Ireland and are staying at her brother's. It's a good thing they didn't come in last night - we had a huge windstorm with winds above 60 mph that knocked power out all over, knocked down trees, and blew shingles off roofs - ours included. I wouldn't have wanted to fly through that! I'm going to try to remember to take my camera so I can get some pictures of us.

Well, for some reason the scan of the quilt picture doesn't want to upload. I'll try again later.

*************
Gratitudes:

1. Minor damage to our house from the windstorm
2. We didn't lose power last night until time for bed
3. Power was restored before this morning.
4. An easy day at work
5. The weekend.

************



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will be so intersting for you to meet Cathi from Ireland. I have enjoyed following her progress on her Dear Jane. It was seeing her quilt that got me started on my own Dear Jane.

I love the purple colours for the baby's quilt. The colours reminded me of the very first quilt I owned -I bought for my daughter Jessica when she was a baby 28 years ago and it was purple - a lovely little quilt - long before I started quilting myself.

Anonymous said...

Those purples and lilacs look delicious - my favourite colours. Can't wait to see this one progressing.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh love the fabrics - it's going to be just gorgeous!

Enjoy your meet :)

Anonymous said...

Oooh - looks like a fun collection of fabrics for a baby quilt!

And - how fun to meet with some fellow Bloggers - tell them I say HI! Have lots of fun!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Anonymous said...

I love strippy quilts. Keep us posted on the progress. Do you foundation piece? I never have any trouble just piecing strips, so I always wonder what the advantage is to foundation piecing a string or strippy quilt.

Anonymous said...

I love the girls. Lucky baby... Glad the weather settled down for you.

Anonymous said...

Sophie's quilt will be a treasure -- love those colors.

Anonymous said...

OOooohh, purples! gonna be a great quilt for your dgd. Just how excited are you?????? LOL a baby to love-Just wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Oh Patti it is going to be wonderful...what a very lucky baby girl. You and your half square triangles...what a woman! Glad you didn't have lots of damage...I was thinking about you when I heard the news last night. Take care.