Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A new project

When 2008 began I decided wanted to focus very hard on finishing a large percentage of my UFO's. In prior years I have planned to do that - but because I also started many new projects my UFO list at the end of the year was always as long as the list I started with. I'm determined not to do that this year so I've really resisted starting new projects. Other than I've been fairly succesful so far - I've finished nine UFO's and started only one new project - Bonnie's Carolina Crossroads mystery quilt.

Yesterday my friend Kathie at Inspired by Antique Quilts threw me a temptation I was unable to resicst. She is making blocks from Rosemary Youngs' two Civil War books - The Civil War Diary Quilt and The Civil War Love Letter Quilt. She plans to make one each day, choosing from both books, until she has enough for a quilt. I've been drooling over these blocks ever since the books came out, so I decided to join her. She chose the first seven blocks, and now I'm to choose seven more for our second week. Dawn has decided to play along too - even though she isn't sure if she can keep the one block a day pace - so she will choose the seven blocks for the third week. It's going to be so much fun to see which fabrics we each pick for each block. We will post them on our blogs so you can see too.

Here are my first two blocks. I've posted pictures of the back side also because I know some of you like to see how I press seams to eliminate bulk.

Anyone else want to play along too?

*************
Gratitudes:
1. Nineteenth century reproduction fabrics
2. The ladies trouncing of the men at hand and foot
3. Rotary cutters and rulers
4. Breakfast for dinner!
5. Four day weekend coming up for Fred

5 comments:

antique quilter said...

Looks Great :)
aren't they fun to make!
Kathie

Gail said...

Neat blocks, and what a good way to tackle a quilt with so many blocks. You are making me want to retire!

Silverthimble said...

What a wonderful idea! A block a day seems quite reasonable. However, I won't join along this time. Commitments at work and home will have to make this sort of challenge wait until retirement. :( Enjoy!

Darlene said...

I wanna play! Can I play? Please, please, please! :-)

Nancy-Rose said...

I'm making the Civil War Diary quilt with a buddy too!
http://www.myquiltblog.com/nancyrose/5196/