Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A good start to the month . . .

when it comes to finishing things. Yesterday I finished the first of the seven large crumb chaos quilts - a big camping quilt for Rick and Rebecca. I think the back with the flannel squares and rectangles is just as interesting as the front. I said I was going to quilt this with a blowing leaves pattern, but I was overruled by Rebecca. Last year I bought a pantograph of moose, bear and fir trees because she'd fallen in love with moose after seeing them at Glacier. She begged me to use this pantograph even though it really wouldn't show much on such a busy quilt top. I'm glad she did - it shows up much more than I thought it would - especially on the back. I know she's going to love how it looks when I deliver it to them tomorrow at our regular Wednesday get together.
This morning I had to quilt a baby quilt for a customer - a rush job I obtained last week. When I finished that I decided to load the crumb chaos doll quilt as I wanted to use the same pantograph with loops and stars. It turned out perfectly - I'm sure our very young friend with the adored dolly will just love it. The perfect way to use those last 10 crumb chaos blocks.

I'm on such a good roll now when it comes to finishing UFO's that I wish I could continue. Unfortunately my next priority must be the other customer quilt I have waiting - a queen-king quilt requiring extensive custom quilting. I've postponed tackling this quilt long enough - I need to get it done. I'm sure it will go smoothly once I get started. Getting started is always the hardest part for me. It's always been that way - and I've never been able to figure out why.

************
Gratitudes:
1. Audio books
2. A sweet crisp red delicious apple
3. A sleepy dog happy to stay on the bed for the day

19 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love that big quilt!

tirane93 said...

that camp quilt is fabulous. scrappy done right - kudos to you!

dot said...

I really like this quilt. It is just lovely.

Quilter Kathy said...

Your crumb quilt is truly amazing! You must be so happy with how it turned out!

Unknown said...

Isn't that always the way - anticipation or dread of starting something is always tougher than actually doing the job - love the big crumb quilt and the back is so snuggly

Helen in the UK said...

The crumb chaos quilt is wonderful. You've been super busy again :)

hetty said...

I love that crumb chaos quilt! It is beautiful! The little doll quilt is nice too. You do nice work!

Richelle said...

I really like your crumb chaos quilt, but what I really love is the back - it is just so inviting!

Richelle

Tracey in CT said...

Both of the crumb quilts looks fabulous...and I do think that the back of the big one looks as fabulous as the front!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh your large chaos quilt is wonderful! And your right the back is fun! I did some stash busting today too!

Tanya said...

The Crumb Chaos is fantastic! Such a fun and cheery quilt! That would really make me want to have a made-up bed every morning!

Ginger Patches said...

Oooo what a great crumb quilt and I love the back too!

Judy said...

I can just see 3 happy campers all wrapped up in your love by the fire! Looks wonderful Patti!

MARCIE said...

I can't get the picture of the back to give me a close-up. I was hoping to see mooses and stuff. These are great quilts Patti! Lots of red! I love red!

Lynda said...

The Crumb Chaos quilt looks fabulous! I love the way that they all turn out differently. I think big quilting designs are best for such a busy quilt.

Lori in South Dakota said...

I love this quilt, makes me want to pull out my scrap baskets and start one. And your tutorial is great.

Lucy said...

Wow that's a fun quilt. I love to see it finished.

LindaSue said...

Now I can do a crumb when I get enough scraps built back up. I just started quilting again after several years of not. All my quilting stuff is in storage in Central Florida and I can't get to it right now.

Thank you for sharing the info on how too. Now I have to spend time reading and looking at all the stuff on your blog.
CreationsbyLSM.blogspot.com

Piecestitcher said...

At last! Inspiration to do something with that laundry basket of scraps. Itching to get started, there are pieces in there from 30 years of quilting projects... no doubt this will be an emotional journey as well.
Love your blog - when do you find time for sleep???