Saturday, February 23, 2008

Another day - another Crumb Chaos quilt

I actually finished this quilt yesterday, but wasn't able to put it on the bed until this morning. I love how it turned out - including the bright orange border! Unfortunately it's not as big as I thought it would be - I'm amazed at how much the quilting made it "shrink". I never seem to remember to allow for that "shrinkage". And since I didn't shrink the cotton batting it's going to be even smaller after it's washed. It's plenty big enough to keep us warm, it's just lacking enough drop to cover the mattress on all sides. I guess I need to write myself a big note to remind me to make the next quilt at least 8" bigger in each direction than I think it needs to be. Of course the problem is where to put the note so I'll see it the next time I decide to make a quilt for our bed! I do love the bright colors - they will really brighten up the room on gray winter days. Now I just need to make new pillow cases and throw pillow to "go" - the ones we have now look a bit out of place on this quilt!

I decided to push myself this weekend to get the last two crumb chaos quilts finished - I want to see the end of them! I'll load the big customer quilt on Monday if not before. Making backings and bindings for these quilts has certainly helped me bust some stash - at least 8 yards for each quilt for a total of 24 yards. That's certainly a good feeling!

Here are a few more of my Civil War blocks, plus a picture of the first two weeks production all together. I'm so thrilled that so many bloggers have decided to keep us company making this quilt!

Now I'd better head upstairs. I still have to make the curtains for Joseph's room also - and it's less than a week until he comes home!

************
Gratitudes:

1. Purple crocus and white snowdrops along the front walk
2. Beautiful round mushrooms for stirfry
3. Warm golf weather for Fred
4. The smiles and cheerful greetings from all the workers at Starbucks

17 comments:

Juliann in WA said...

Isn't this weather wonderful? Your crumb quilt is so cheery and your CW blocks are great.

SandyQuilts said...

WOW love your crumb quilt ... beautiful. Thanks for the tutorial too.

Carol said...

Your crumb quilt is just so happy...love your CW blocks and I am so excited that Joseph's arrival day is almost here...YIPPEE!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Them crumb quilt looks good on the bed! Those CW blocks are terrific too.

Anonymous said...

Them??? Dang, if I could type I'd be dangerous!

antique quilter said...

I am so happy that your finished with that quilt, it looks great!
Oh the blocks are wonderful, Monday I will get back to mine...I need to finish this quilt I am working on first.
Kathie

Lissa Jane said...

I am loving your CW blocks.. I bought both books about a week ago they arrived and I am revved up to start making the quilt, but have promised myself to finish a few things first.. *sigh*


Lissa

Lily Mulholland said...

Less than a week till Joseph is here! You'd better get sewing fast Patti, because you'll be otherwise distracted for a while methinks :)

Love the crumb quilt - and the orange border! Gee that's a good tip to make the quilt 8" bigger around! I'll try to remember that too!

Megan said...

love your blocks.....I guess I better pick up the pace!!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh your crumb chaos quilts look so wonderful! I love it! And your CW blocks are great! Got my cd's today too! But first now I have to get a quilt quilted for a class I teach on tues! Yup, I waited till the last minute!

PiecefulChaos said...

Your CW blocks look great! I love the crumb quilt - one of these days I have to do one of those.

Jenni said...

Your crumb quilt looks fantastic - nothing beats a scrappy quilt IMO. Your blocks are coming along well too.

canquilt said...

You quilt is wonderful and that orange works. Your civil war blocks look great all together like that. What is the friendship star looking block called?

Idaho Quilter said...

Love the crumb quilt, a lot of piecing in that quilt. I love the orange border, it is perfect. Maybe you need a orange dust ruffle. You are moving right along on the CW blocks.

Mary Johnson said...

The blocks and the quilt look wonderful. I also bought the CW books but it will be a while before I make any blocks and even then I'm not sure I'm going to make a sampler but I'm enjoying flipping through the books looking at the blocks and reading the letters.

Meredith said...

The quilt is fab. I like the choices of fabric you picked for your civil war blocks. Who says all that stash does not come in handy?

Tanya said...

Ohh doesn't that quilt look wonderful on that bed! I'm so envious! I want a quilt like yours and I want a bed too!