Friday, February 15, 2008

Friday report

Tomorrow is Sophie's birthday party and I have yet to do any shopping. So today I need to focus on that instead of quilting. I meant to do it yesterday but you know how that goes . . . . I have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting so it shouldn't take all that long. Then I'll come home and piece together the remaining flannel for another quilt back.

Here is the Civil War block for today. One of the interesting things about doing these blocks is reading the stories that go along with them. The author paired every block with a journal entry from the time of the Civil War that inspired the block. Today's block is called "Special Blessings". The journal entry is by Rachel Young King Anderson, a mother of three who worried about her husband away fighting the war. Her diary was written at age 43 in Missouri. The "Special Blessings" entry was written on New Years Day. She is thankful that her husband, son and brothers are still alive and that they have food to eat and clothes to keep them war. She prays for the Lord's mercy to bring them safely through to the end of the war.

OK - time to hop in the shower and get moving - it's going to be so much fun to shop for this birthday!

11 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

I got my books out last night and will get started this weekend! I can't wait! Oh and I marked the pages and started reading the entries - I couldn't help it.

antique quilter said...

I love your fabric combos!
oh shopping for Sophie, too fun!
I remember those days...
now its JCrew or Gap, ipod music gift cards...
no more toys r us!
Kathie

Teresa said...

Happy Birthday, Sophia!

Idaho Quilter said...

I ordered the Civil War book and will be joining in. Looks very interesting can't wait to get the book. I love quilt history. How many blocks have you made?

Juliann in WA said...

I also love reading the entries in these books - I also have the book March by Geraldine Brooks in my pile to read. Any hints for making your pattern pieces?

canquilt said...

You have a great bunch of the blocks finished. They are all so beautiful. Yet again, I am always playing catch up. I haven't even started yet!

Lily Mulholland said...

My goodness Patti - you'll have three grandkids by the end of the year!! Better get quilting!

The civil war blocks are just amazing - as will be the finished quilt. Will be interesting to see how different the three are :)

cityquilter grace said...

patti, love your civil war blocks; i've a civil war quilt in my future at some point also...love those colors; glad you are enjoying your retirement...and being so productive as well. and a new grandchild? how blessed you are...and joseph coming soon, it's been a grand year for you so far it seems....keep posting, interesting stuff!

Sue said...

All of your quilts and blocks look just great. I know what you mean about getting tired of certain projects. It especially rings true for me when there are LOTS of pieces.

Have fun!

Judy said...

I love how you had the same green fabric as was used in the book! Very pretty!

When you pick the quilt blocks for the next week, will you shoot a list to me please. I've decided to play along and I got the first 6 done this afternoon...I don't know the last one so I'll have to wait and see what you and Kathie make and then find it in the book!

Jeanne said...

I love seeing all of the CWD blocks everyone is making in Blogland. Yours are wonderful. That green fabric is one of my favorites.