Saturday, January 6, 2007

First finish of 2007 - and a milestone reached

This is my 250 post! I've been blogging just under one year. I had no idea when I started how much I would enjoy it or how many friends I'd make through my blog. Each and every one of you have enriched my life in ways you can't imagine.

I finished my first UFO of 2007! What a good feeling. This should never have been a UFO at all - I was sure it would be done in October the weekend I put it on Gandalf to quilt. I think I posted about my bad luck in ripping a small hole in the quilt during the quilting process. I guess every longarmer does this sooner than later - I'm just really glad it wasn't on a customer quilt!

Anyway, I figured I'd appliqué hearts on it to disguise the hole. I cut out a bunch of hearts, pinned them on, and was immediately bogged down with other projects with deadlines. I kept thinking I had until March to finish this so I procrastinated. Big surprise and joke on Patti when I received an email on Monday that the chair wanted our finished quilts turned in at Thursday's meeting. I begged for a reprieve and was granted this weekend. She wants to mail them to American Patchwork and Quilting by the 15th because I guess the auction starts the first of February! Thank goodness I felt well enough today to sit in the recliner and appliqué the rest of those hearts! Doing appliqué on a quilt that's already quilted and bound isn't fun - let me tell you! - because one can't gather the quilt up in one had like one is used to! But it's done - hooray! - and I hope it brings a fair price at the auction.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Patti, the hearts are charming! They look like they were planned all along!
Congrats on your first finish!
Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Glad your feeling a bit better and the quilt is WONDERFUL!

Anonymous said...

I love your quilt! I was interested in your comment about the difficulty in appliqueing after the quilt has been quilted. I was at a quilt show in the spring where several quilters had appliqued their quilts--borders mostly--after the quilts had returned from the longarmer. I thought about how creative that was and how easy it would have been for the longarmer since she wouldn't have had to work around the applique. I was always going to try that--now I might rethink that as an option. Thanks for sharing. Oh, and by the way--glad you are feeling a little better! Congrats on making it to your 250th post in under a year--that is dedication to your blog (and those of us who read it *VBS*)

Anonymous said...

Hope you're feeling better. Your Quilt Pink quilt looks great - I haven't torn a quilt yet but I'm sure that it will happen one of these days. Applique is a good solution for covering it up.

Anonymous said...

I know it wasn't your original plan, but I like the hearts sprinkled on the quilt. Good save!

Once things went awry when I was free-motion quilting a flannel quilt. I only needed a couple of bear prints to cover the damage but had to add many more to make a "logical" path of tracks. The tracks actually made the quilt much more interesting than it would have been.

I'm sorry you weren't feeling well. That strain of the flu is pretty nasty. I'm glad you are better. Drink lots of hot tea.

Anonymous said...

That looks like a quilt I've been thinking about making. It's called a split nine patch.

Anonymous said...

Lovely quilt!!

Anonymous said...

your Quilt Pink quilt is lovely. I like the appliqued hearts on it.

Congratulations of your 250th post.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on a great quilt, a good solution to the hole problem, and a year of blogging!

Anonymous said...

Turned out terrific -- a great way to start off the new year. Congrats on the milestone -- did you ever think you would have so much to say? I sure didn't when I started *s*

Anonymous said...

What a pretty quilt. I love the hearts!

Anonymous said...

Those hearts are delightful, what an inspired solution.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely quilt. And those stars were inspired! Nobody would ever know they weren't part of the original design. Whan a novel way to cover up a boo-boo.

Anonymous said...

My that would be harder to get done...plus trying to make the tiniest of knots on the finish.

Good job and thankful you were further along and could finish quickly! The back looks great too!

Good luck that your kids move quickly up the list and hopefully Sophie will make a sooner than expected appearance. I know you can get her quilt done in plenty of time!

Anonymous said...

It is a pretty pink quilt, and the hearts add to the overall design.
Congratulations on your blogging milestone. I'm glad you are here!

Anonymous said...

Nice quilt! (I like the back too - your fix mixes in with the hearts on the front!)

Anonymous said...

The pink hearts make the quilt........... They add just the right touch.