Sunday, September 9, 2007

Another finished flimsy

Tonight I finished the second string top. This is the first time I've made blocks with a specific color and width for the first diagonal string. I really like how it turned out! I like the first one I made too, but there's just something about the strong diagonal statement the red strings make. I know I'll make more tops similar to this as I have so many remaining strings. For now, however, the strings will be put away in favor of finishing more projects. I have 1016 mile-a-minute blocks that need to be sewn into quilt tops - that's the next thing on the menu.

This weekend we went out to Long Beach, Washington and spent time with Rick, Rebecca, Jeremy, Chelsea and Sophie. We stayed at Chelsea's mom's family place. I didn't take any pictures, but here is a picture of the view from the living room that I took there the first time we were all together. This time our weather was marvelous - high 80's with very little wind. Unusual for the beach! Unlike in the picture, the beach trail was dry so we took several walks to the ocean. Sophie got to play in the sand for the first time - she loved it! It was a wonderful relaxing weekend - so relaxing that I totally forgot to get out my camera! Chelsea and Jeremy were taking lots of pictures, so hopefully they will share. It was great having a weekend to watch Sophie play and cuddle her when she wasn't too busy exploring her world.

I spent a lot of time in a chair handquilting and just enjoying everyone's company. This is the first time in several years that I've done any handquilting - last time I tried the arthritis in my hands gave me a lot of trouble. Not a problem at all right now thanks to my copper rings, so I took full advantage of it. Here is a picture of the quilt I am working on. I finished quilting all the blocks, and started working on the sashing. I'd already quilted the sashing 1/4" from both long seams. I took out the two cables I'd quilted - I didn't like them from the minute I put them in because they looked funny in between the two rows of 1/4" stitching - and quilted a straight line down the middle of the sashing instead. Much better looking and much faster! I'm confident I can finish quilting this one by the end of the month - that will be such a good feeling! I think I started quilting it at least 5-6 years ago.
************
Gratitudes:
1. Wonderful weekend with family
2. A beautiful, healthy granddaughter
3. A walk on the beach trail with all my girls

6 comments:

Andrea said...

I like the red strings too. Ties it all together very well ! Loved your last post about all the UFO's. I have a few but not in your league. Give me a little while longer and I may alter that -lol ! Good luck with getting all the MAM blocks sewn up.

loulee said...

Sounds like you had a great time.
Your quilts look great. I like the rope quilting, but it's your quilt, you must do what's right for you.

Vicki W said...

Your quilt is very striking with the red strings!

Libby said...

Sounds like the perfect weekend - time with family in a lovely setting all while hand quilting *s*
Can you tell me about the copper rings? Do you wear them all the time or only when you are working with your hands? I'd love to know more.

Holly said...

Your mile a minute looks wonderful. It doesn't look too pink to me but if a person doesn't like pink then it doesn't take much pink to make it too pink, I guess.

Love this strings flimsly. I like your plan of trying to get that one quilt top quilted by the end of the month. Maybe I should set a goal for the one I'm working on.

Rose Marie said...

Your string version is striking! The red sure makes it pop even more.