Monday, June 18, 2007

Monday musings

Here are better pictures of the two quilts I quilted this weekend. The sampler is for Hotel Hope and the African quilt belongs to my friend Kim. Kim gave me another one to do also, but I'm going to return it to her. At least for now. It has huge expanses of plain white space in between simple blue and yellow star blocks, and I feel totally inadequate to do something like this yet. She wants fancy designs in the white empty spaces, which means I'll have to sew over prior stitching many, many times. I'm just not very good at that yet. If the print is busy it hides it a bit - also, on my own quilts I figure I'm practicing. I know every stitch will stand out on that white background, so I'm going to be honest and tell her I just can't do something like that. Not until I have put in much more practice time than I have up until now.
Which means after Tangled Threads tomorrow night there will be no flimsies in the house to quilt except mine - hooray! I'm hoping to get both Joseph's quilt and my first string top quilted this next weekend so I can cross two more off my list. Time will tell.

In the meantime tonight I stitched and trimmed and stitched some more, fitting together oddball parts and blocks for my "Orphan Train" quilt. I decided to stitch some of the smaller bits to strips that I pulled sight unseen from my strip drawer so it felt like I was making mile-a-minute blocks at least part of the time. I watched the first Harry Potter movie while I worked. My goal is to watch the first four movies again before the next one comes out in July, as well as listen to the first six books before the last one comes out. They are good things to stitch and quilt by - I've seen and heard them so many times that I don't have to pay really close attention.

This is going to be a busy week at work - a good thing as the time should go quickly. I can hardly wait until the weekend so I can put one of MY quilt tops on the machine!
************
Gratitudes:
1. Healthy Chinese take-out for dinner
2. A good medical prognosis for my new supervisor
3. Sophie "passing" her four month check-up with flying colors
4. Perfect June weather - not too hot
5. The successful conclusion of Fred's 38th year of teaching

************

14 comments:

Leigh said...

I think you've done a wonderful job of the quilting on both of these.

Mary Johnson said...

I don't blame you for not taking on the stress of quilting something you feel uncomfortable with. I also struggle with *custom* quilting. Pantographs and overall freehand designs are my comfort zone. I just posted about my bright idea yesterday to use the leftover batting and backing at the bottom of my quilts for practice. I figure if I do a little after each quilt I'll start to feel more confident.

Jenni said...

The quilting on both these quilts looks fine to me - I'd say you are getting pretty good at it.

Anne Ida said...

Your quilting on these looks great, Patti! You have done a wonderful job! I don't blame you for not wanting to tackle big white spaces, and I don't think your friend will either :o)

Have fun with your orphans!

The Chicken Lady said...

I love seeing other people's quilts. I'm a bright, vibrant fabric girl. I love pinks, yellows, reds, greens, oranges. But I enjoy seeing the beiges, browns, dark greens, and such in quilts. I even attempt to work with them sometimes. That african quilt is a perfect example. I wouldn't normally buy those colors, but I LOVE that quilt. :)

Libby said...

Wow - only your own quilts at home. Bet that doesn't happen often. Can't wait to see what you have done with your orphan blocks.

swooze said...

Great job! Those are nice quilts. Glad you can get back to your own quilts now!

Nan said...

As usual, your quilts are gorgeous! I really like the vine and leaves on the dark background - it just makes everything pop!
The weather has been wonderful lately, hasn't it? I don't do hot weather very well - typical Washingtonian, right?

Anonymous said...

The vine quilt is breath taking!!

Unknown said...

I love that vine quilt - will have to save that idea for future reference

Lily Mulholland said...

I too think that the weekend can't come fast enough Patti! Enjoy it when it gets here :)

Finn said...

Hi Patti, I've just finished up a Harry Potter marathon. Got all 4 films watched last week and now the waiting begins. I do enjoy them, as you said, over and over across time. The kids seem like such 'little guys' in the first one, compared to the 4th one.
I haven't read the books, but I did listen to the Half Blood Prince on CD..lots of CD's, LOKL, 17 to be exact! But it was excellent.
Not good enough vision to read them all, but I ejoy what I can. Both quilts look wonderful. I espcially love the African quilt with the applique on dark! Hugs, Finn

atet said...

What fun quilts! But it has got to be a relief to only have your own flimsies left in the house!

Cher said...

Patti, I am late with reading and commenting on deciding to return the quilt top to your friend-but a big hurrah for you to make that decision for your own peace of mind-it is not worth the stress. I will read on and see what else is going on!