Monday, December 10, 2007

Holiday preparations

Seems like I'm so behind this year. It threw me having a baby shower int he middle of the holiday season in that I lost a weekend I usually have for getting ready. With Fred's help yesterday we finally got our tree up and decorated. Hopefully the shopping will be finished this week. Christmas is such a very special time - filled with love and family gatherings as we celebrate the birth of Christ. This is the last Christmas season that I'll be working - I'm so looking forward to lots of time for holiday baking etc. in the coming years.

Blogging - both writing and reading - has just fallen by the wayside in the need for something to give. Other than making an apron for our daughter-in-law for her birthday I've been doing no sewing to speak of. I have been doing some reading in spare moments but that's it. Here are the last two books I read.

The Handmaid's Tale - "In the world of the near future, who will control women's bodies? Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are only valued if their ovaries are viable. Offred can remember the days before, when she lived and made love with her husband Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now...."
A very different book, quite disturbing. It certainly made me think.
Broken for You - A buoyant debut novel about two women in self-imposed exile whose worlds are transformed when their paths intersect, and a glorious homage to the beauty of broken things. An absolutely beautiful book full of wonderfully interesting characters. I fell in love with this book. A wonderful read.

************
Gratitudes:
1. Tiny snowflakes falling off and on throughout the day
2. A family birthday celebration
3. Favorite Christmas carols sung as I remember from my childhood
4. Watching "Miracle on 34th Street" with family
5. Friends, new and old

11 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Your tree is gorgeous. I read The Handmaid's Tale several years ago. Very scary, but an excellent book.

loulee said...

Your tree is beautiful. Well worth the wait.

Judy said...

Have you ever seen the movie made from the Handmaid's tale book? It's a good movie, but like the book, it's kind of a disturbing subject.

The tree looks wonderful Patti!

Jane said...

I go back and forth between my loves of reading and sewing too. You did a beautiful job on your tree! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I have been enjoying reading another fellow quilter's blog. I stumbled upon yours because you have made the girl gang, Jan Patek, Its A Wonderful Life quilt. I would love to buy the pattern from you if you would be interested in selling? I can only find this particular quilt done in kits, and I wanted to add wool applique to it instead. If you would be willing to part with the pattern or share, plase e-mail me. Have a happy holiday!

antique quilter said...

Tree looks great Patti!
you'll get back to sewing and blogging once you retire in a few weeks.
Oh how exciting that sounds a few weeks.
Hope your arm/shoulder is feeling better?
maybe think of this extra time reading as a way to give your body the time to really heal this time around.
Kathie

cityquilter grace said...

patti, i had read that book some time ago and agree, it's quite science fiction-y; the thing that seemed more plausible to me was the fact that there are smoking toxic waste dumps visible, which is also alarming. not all her stuff is that spooky, though. i believe they are around now, only hidden...anyway, love your tree

cityquilter grace

Pam said...

That is such a pretty tree!!

I remember reading the Handmaid's Tale quite a few years ago - and then later I saw the movie. I think all of Margaret Atwood's book are a little disturbing - or thought provoking to say the least.

Holly said...

Beautiful tree, Patti. Thanks for the book recommendations. They sound very interesting - the kind I like to read. Enjoy your last "working" Christmas because you know what they say, once you're retired you have less time than ever to do the things you love. Don't know how that is but somehow they say it's so :)

Kieny The Dutchlady said...

I've read The Handmaid's Tale several years ago it's a scary and disturbing book to read. Lovely tree!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Love that tree! Thanks for the book recommendations.
The shower looks like it went well, soon more than Santa will be here!!
Snowflakes are coming along nicely, Tracey