Monday, May 21, 2007

Oh boy - I've done it now

Who knows whether I'll ever catch up with my blog reading. Tonight I got home from work, settled down at the computer and pulled up bloglines. All I can figure out is that I must have clicked on "Mark all blogs read" because suddenly all the posts waiting for me to read disappeared!!!! I don't want to miss anything that folks have been up to! All I can do now is start at the top of the alphabet and go down. Hopefully I'll be able to recognize the last post I read on each blog LOL! I will still try to comment, because I know how important that is to everyone.

My husband is taking a personal day on Friday - it's use it or lose it and it's almost the end of the year. So I'm taking a personal day also. He's playing golf - I'm going to be doing something quilty. Don't know what yet, but that gives me a 4-day weekend. Hooray!

I've been plugging away on Joseph's quilt when I've not been upstairs quilting. I think this quilt must be jinxed. I'm not sewing things together wrong like I did with Sophie's quilt - I'm not reading directions correctly to start with! Every mistake concerns the same part of the quilt - the red strips with blue hearts. First I cut blue strips and red hearts. Whoops! Too much blue. Next I cut red strips but cut them all too narrow. So I recut the red strips and used every remaining scrap of the red fabric. I cut blue hearts and fused them on and figured I was finally in good shape. That was way last month. Since then I've done the blanket stitching on all four animals and the sun block. I started blanket stitching the hearts on Friday night during the Mariners game and finished two of the four strips. I couldn't believe it when I looked at my progress on Saturday morning. One of the red strips was the wrong length. And I'd fused all the hearts going the same direction. Oh dear - two red strips are sewn vertically on each side of the duck block - my hearts are laying on their sides! So now I have to choose a different red from my stash, cut new strips and new blue hearts and fuse them again. And of course Murphy's law was in effect - one of the pieces I'd already blanket stitched was wrong. At least it wasn't both of them! I've got all my fingers and toes crossed that this is the last mistake I make on this quilt. I'm not crazy about the bunny's nose - that's the way it's done on the pattern - but after all the rest of my troubles I'm not changing it!
************
Gratitudes:
1. Bacon and tomato sandwiches for dinner
2. A late birthday lunch with my assistant
3. 405 calendar days until I retire
4. Birdsong outside
5. A short work week

************


17 comments:

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Oh "405 calendar days until I retire!" Classic, I'm presuming from work and not life/Earth/breathing! You could go the whole hog and have one of those ticker meters! We could watch every day disappear with you!
Love the applique quilt, Tracey

quiltpixie said...

have you checked what time period you're asking bloglines to sample? When I click on a folder (i've got a bunch of feeds all in different folders) there is a piece that says" Disaplay items within the last ____" the ____ is definable through a drop down menu. Try resetting that to a larger time slice and the unread posts might "reappear" :-)

Kim West said...

I hate when I "mark all as read" - especially with almost 300 blogs on my list.

The Calico Cat said...

love the animal appliques!

Lily Mulholland said...

Oh no Patti! Something on your mind that's distracting you? I love the bunny! This will be such a cute quilt when it's finished - no one but you will notice anything amiss!

KC Quilter said...

I'll bet Baby Joseph won't notice any mistakes in his quilt. He'll just feel love and warmth from Granny!!! Enjoy your day off!

The Chicken Lady said...

I like the bunny and his nose. I know, tho, sometimes it's not EXACTLY what you had in your brain. And that sun block is adorable. And the hearts too. Sorry about all the mistakes, but I think it's turning out great, and it will be a treasure for little Joseph! And just by the way, one day down, only 404 to go!

Melanie said...

I loved the bunny! I have a thing for rabbits. I printed out your photo for future reference. He looks lovable.

Libby said...

Your trials sound like a page from my day - stick with it. The quilt will be darling and much loved when you are through *s*

Carol said...

the bunny is precious and the duck fabric is perfect. You sound like me...when one thing starts then look out, my mind goes and everything I do after that is in danger. Keep at it though it is a perfect quilt for Joseph.

Susan said...

Some quilts are like that..... They give new meaning to the word "Persevere"........

Susan said...

You are not the only one who has done this, so don't feel bad. I know how annoying it is. Sometimes I think a particular pattern just doesn't want to be done!

The seagull thing came, I think, from so many statues around Salt Lake City, commemorating the time the seagulls came and ate the crickets that were devouring all the crops.

Saska said...

Love the quilt!

I have a short-work week too. So nice to be able to use-or-lose it!

Eileen said...

Love the bunny and the duck! He's going to be such a lucky little boy.
Enjoy your long weekend and don't overdo it in the garden.

Elaine Adair said...

Enjoy your long weekend! And don't worry about the miscalculations - baby will love it ... whatever. Hey, that's how discoveries are made!

atet said...

Oh my, don't you hate it when that happens? Hang in there -- it will all turn out, and I doubt Joseph will notice ;0). What I've seen is adorable -- and if you don't tell anyone they're mistakes, you can always claim creative license!

Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only one who had "hexed" projects. Just think of the satisfaction you will have for finishing this quilt. I usually like my "contrary" quilts more than the ones that go together smoothly.